Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Apple Pie without Guilt

When I was in college, I could finish off an Entenmann's apple pie in a day . . . or less. Never even sliced it into civilized pieces -- or "slivers", as we innocently request in my family. Just opened the pie box, took out a forkful every time I passed by the refrigerator, and, surprise! no more pie by dinner time.

I don't do that anymore, but I still LOVE PIE. What to do?

Here's a continuation of the last post about icebox jam. This time we'll call it "apple compote", as my grandmother used to say.




It turns out, you can enjoy the best part of pie -- the FILLING -- without adding all the fat, salt, sugar and processed flour if actual pie to your hips. 

How? By simply stewing the apple pie filling ingredients as follows:
  • Cut up some apples, and put them into a pan.
  • Throw in some raisins.
  • Add a few squirts of honey.
  • Add a couple of shakes of cinnamon
  • Add a pinch of allspice.
  • Add water to cover.
  • Stew at low/medium heat until most of the liquid is absorbed.
  • Once it cools a bit, mash gently with a potato masher.
  • Keep refrigerated.
Eat it by the spoonful, or garnish it wish granola, or serve it over a dollop of plain yogurt, or spread it over nut butter on a nice slice of whole grain bread.

There you have it, Apple Pie without Guilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment