- Empty a container of pitted, sulfur dioxide free prunes into a pot.
- Add the juice of 1/4 lemon and a pinch of dried cloves, or 2 whole cloves.
- Add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer partially covered until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Periodically check the pot to see if you need to add more water.
- When the prunes are very soft, turn off the stove, remove the pot from the heat and set on a cooling rack.
- When the mixture has cooled down a bit, take a potato masher and press into the prunes until you have a creamy butter.
Tastes great as a spread over nut butter or yogurt on bread or a cracker. Or mix into yogurt to make a pudding.