Monday, November 30, 2015

Eating Sensibly at the Airport

All my trips these days involve one- or two-hour layovers at connecting airports. That gives me an opportunity to stretch my legs walking through the terminal and concourses, and to eat a good meal. 

It can be a challenge finding the right nutrition at the airport, and making sure it's easily digestible, since I'll be sitting on the next plane soon after eating it. I avoid sandwiches, wraps, and burritos, since they're heavy on carbs. I search for lightly prepared lean protein and vegetables.

My favorite "concourse" meal lately can be found at Sbarro's, an Italian food restaurant with locations at many airports. I get a plate of Chicken Vesuvio (lightly battered thin chicken breast with mushroom sauce) + a big helping of sautéd vegetables (squash, carrots, broccoli). 

That gives me both lean protein and juicy whole vegetable nutrients

Since it's too much food for me to down all at once, I pack an empty Snapware container in my carry-on bag for the leftovers, so I can eat them at home later that evening when I'll either be arriving at my destination hotel room or returning home to an empty refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment