Sunday, November 29, 2015

Traveling with Booster Foods

Especially when I travel, I want to make sure I have the super-nutrition I need to function at my best. It can be challenging to take booster foods on a trip, especially perishables. 

Along with packing 3 steel water cans to ensure good hydration, I combine a supply of dry supplements with fresh foods so I don't have to worry what provisions are available near my hotel or other lodging (including family houses that don't stock my favorite staples).

First, I pack separate "Snapware" type plastic food containers with enough of the following foods for however many days I'll be away:
  1. Rolled oats, flax seed meal, wheat germ, raisins, whey protein powder (In a separate container, I mix the cereal ingredients with water, wait for a few minutes, and enjoy a nutritious breakfast in my room.)
  2. Purim Super Meal L.O.V.E. + Alive Ultra Shake Vanilla Pea Protein(Spoon out a daily portion into a glass or shake jar, add water, mix or stir well, wait for a minute, then drink. Alternatively, if I'm working off-site all day, I fill one of my steel water bottles with this mixture, so I can sip it throughout the day.)
  3. Nut and seed mix, such as walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds (I add this to a fresh spinach salad, or snack on it.)
  4. Pre-bagged spice mixes including Susan's Anti-Virus Hot Toddy and Simple Calming Tea. (You can find empty tea bags to fill with your own spice mixes at naturalteabags.comTIP: Pack spice teas in nested snapware containers, to avoid "spicing up" your luggage with unwanted aromas!)
Then, I pack fresh and packaged foods such as:
  • Packaged, pre-washed fresh dark greens such as spinach or arugula
  • Individual salad dressing mini-cups (such as Hidden Valley Ranch To Go Light)
  • Apples
  • Bananas
  • Red grapes
  • Blueberries
  • Shredded cheese
  • Avocados
  • Individual packs of fish, chicken or other protein 
In a separate, roomy plastic container, I make a big salad for the day, with greens, grapes or blueberries, nuts and seeds, shredded cheese, and salad dressing. (Make sure to also pack plastic or metal silverware so you can mix foods in your room if necessary.)

With all of the above, I'm assured of meeting my basic daily nutrition needs, and can supplement the travel foods with snacks or meals I purchase on the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment